Wednesday, July 30, 2014

LEGO Ideas Review - Ummester's Battle Mech


Now this is what I call a war machine. Tall, strong, and armed to the teeth, this machine looks like it was made to fight.

 

Here, we can see some of the mech. Up top, we have two Rocket Launchers containing twelve rockets each. On the arms, we have two turrets, and removable hand guns on the sides of the cockpit.

Here's the weaponry off of the mech. Though Ummester didn't explain how each weapon worked, the small light-grey parts on each turret remind me of the sensors used to find long-range targets.


Here, we have a better close-up of one of the turrets.


Here, we have a look at the back. On back, there are two Plasma Canisters. These are what powers the mech, keeping the mech standing till it runs out.

Here, we can see that the cockpit is detachable. If the mech is in major disrepair and is unable to function, or if heavy artillery is heading towards it, the pilot can eject, and then take the hand weapons mounted on the side of the vehicle.


When this set was first released, he provided two different designs. The first of which, made out of real legos, seems to have a colored pattern for camouflage in a jungle environment. The second one makes me think of a forest.

But in a recent update, he introduced to us a mech for space. This one would go well with the Classic Space sets that have recently been coming back, or even any of the old ones that are now collector's items.

As usual, I sent a list of questions for the creator of the set to answer.

*********************************************************************************

Xendor: Welcome, Ummester.

Ummester: Hi Xendor, glad to be here

Xendor: I must say, your Battle Mech is quite an impressive design. What inspired you to build it?

Unmester: As mentioned on LEGO ideas, my children and I were always trying to make FASA style mecha out of our Exo Force sets. I had this itch to complete a final model from our playing. When I became comfortable with using LDD, I designed this mech.

Xendor: How long did it take for you to build it?

Unmester: For my MOCs I generally design in LDD first now, then order parts, then build. As this build was completed along with a larger build and parts were being ordered for both at the same time, it is hard to say exactly how long it took. I would estimate the mech took around 2 days of LDD design work. At only 520 pieces, it can be constructed in under an hour.

Xendor: My favorite part about this set has got to be the sleek detail that it holds, while hosting the large, bulky components around it, presenting a powerful figure. What was the best part about this set for you?

Unmester: The olive – I love the new(ish) olive colour and was happy to include so much of it in this build. Structure wise I like the way the shoulder missile pods and rear plasma tanks connect so solidly and seamlessly to the main body.

Xendor: LEGO will soon be releasing the LEGO set Exo-Suit that had received 10,000 supporters in January of 2013. How well do you think your set will compete?

Unmester: The Exo-Suit is a cool little build. I can’t really say how well my Battle Mech will compete – it depends on how much the community likes it, I guess. I can say this: If the Battle Mech project reaches 1000 supporters, I will post renders of the mech in various colour schemes. If the project reaches 2000 supports, I will post an LDD file/building instructions.

Xendor: Do you have anything to say to our fellow LEGO builders out there?

Unmester: Keep building – and don’t forget to make time for your family and friends, no matter how addictive it gets.

Xendor: Thank you for your time. This is an amazing set.

Unmester: Cheers and thank you for your support.

***************************************************************************

Thank you, visitor, for reading this article. Please, go to this link, https://ideas.lego.com/projects/69911,
and support the set.

Also, if you have any ideas as to how I can improve this blog, or know of a set on LEGO Ideas you would like me to review, don't hesitate to comment.

Your friend,

Xendor.

No comments:

Post a Comment