Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Operation: Steam Knights - Phoenix Changeling

One of the most common members of LEGO Ideas is Pittstop. And I must say, he does an amazing job.

For a two years, he has been making sets for a theme he calls Operation: Steam Knights, composing of both a Steam Punk and Fantasy world. This has brought the creation of many amazing creations, his most recent of which being the Changelings, machines that are able to transform from one thing to another. This one is he Phoenix.


The story of this creation is one that could be used in many stories and still draw people's attention. Here it is, word for word. The story of Cyndurr, of the Wyvern Clan.

Cyndurr was once high among the Wyvern sect, till he realised that an evil force was manipulating their visions and leading their world to disaster. Having exposed the evil he was unable to convince his allies of the wrong they were doing and in desperation sought the aid of the elves of Fire Mountain.

The fire elves, who had long known of the dark threat manipulating the Wyvern clan, took pity on the wretched fallen knight and granted him one wish. He wished for the power to restore the honour of his clan and save the world. Laughing at the audacity to try and cheat two wishes phrased as one the elves granted his wish, casting his Steam Knight armour into the lava pits of Fire Mountain, only for it to be reborn as the seemingly unstoppable Phoenix Steam Knight Changeling.

But powered by the element of fire and the magic of elves, this lost Wyvern Clan member finds his quest to free his people and save the world more difficult than ever as he no longer belongs with the very knights he seeks to save.

Forced to forge an alliance with his former enemy Emperor Rex, Cyndurr becomes one of the courts most powerful allies. But also one of its most lonely.

This is what makes Operation: Steam Knights one of the greatest themes on LEGO Ideas for me. Not only do we have the combination of technology and magic, we also have many characters and machines with strange and fantastic stories.

But what about the Phoenix? Well, for one, the Phoenix is one of my favorite fictional creatures, second to the dragon. For another, the rider, Cyndurr, is unique in his desperation to save his only friends from the hands of evil, fighting alongside the very people that he fought against.

The design itself it amazing. I love the fiery wings that it holds, as well as the flaming sword that is the tail of the Phoenix. Also, it provides many gold chrome parts, which in production would provide a shiny, reflective lighting that would make it seem like it was glowing from its flames.


As usual, I sent a list of questions for the creator to answer. Here is the interview I had with Pittstop.

***************************************************************************

Xendor: Welcome, Pittstop. I’m really excited to talk with you about this set of yours.

Pittstop: Thanks for the invitation.

Xendor: First of all, Operation: Steam Knights. What is it?

Pittstop: Operation: Steam Knights is a fusion of magic and steam punk set in a medieval setting.  It's the answer to the question "What if King Arthur had a mech".

Xendor: How many of these sets do you have on LEGO Ideas?

Pittstop: That's a difficult one, back when Lego Ideas started "concepts" could be pitched, so some of my ideas included more than one design.  Since the rules were changed to include only individual set ideas I've uploaded 17, but in that 17 there are probably around 20 individual mechs and sets.

Xendor: Your most recent one is the Changeling “Phoenix.” I must say, this is probably one of your best models. What inspired you to build it?

Pittstop: I have no idea, the basic concept for the "changelings" was to incorporate transforming mecha to the series, which I've been doing slowly over two years now, but this specific design was a "doodle".  Basically I build until it looks like something and then post it.

Xendor: What feature are you most proud about it?

Pittstop: I think the wings, I was trying something new and it turned out much better than I hoped.

Xendor: Where do you intend on going with Operation: Steam Knights?

Pittstop: At the moment I have only one future design planned and that is a Changeling which converts to a Griffon.

Xendor: What do you have to say to those reading this article?

Pittstop: Please support my creations on Lego Ideas - but seriously, I'd say check out Lego Ideas, there is a lot of great stuff there.  I get a lot of inspiration just browsing the popular sets.


Xendor: Thank you. It has been a pleasure reviewing your set.


This set, and many other Operation: Steam Knights, deserve production. And I'm glad I got to review it.

Please, let me know what you like about this set, and how I can improve my reviews.

Have a good day. Your friend,

Xendor

No comments:

Post a Comment