Wednesday, July 30, 2014

LEGO Interview - Glen Bricker

For many years, LEGOs have influenced many people in many ways. So, I decided to talk with some people about their LEGO life, and how they got started. My first guest happens to run the LEGO website Brickset, along with his many companions. He also has submitted many sets onto LEGO Ideas, including a Doctor Who set (https://ideas.lego.com/projects/16291), which is in review at the present. I figured that I should first interview a figure that many may recognize.

On that note, let's all say hi to Glen Bricker of Brickset and LEGO Ideas.

*********************************************************************************

Q: What got you started on LEGOs?

A:  My parents.   I have very fond memories of the 80’s Space and Castle sets.   As I grew up I did have some Dark Ages but the Exo-Force got me back into the hobby.  Then I got obsessed with building a LEGO build of a fiction vehicle called a Hammership from Spelljammer.  I attended a “TexLUG” meeting which didn’t give me a good vibe but then Brick Fiesta came to Austin and that is basically when I got seriously hooked.


Q: What sort of stuff did you create?

A:  I tend to model (build MOC recreations of specific subjects) more than freebuild, as should be evident by my Ideas projects.  I also like to incorporate gearwork into builds whenever I can. 


Q: How about LEGO Ideas/Cuusoo? How did you find out about this?

A:  I am not sure exactly how I found out about the site.  It has been so long.  My campaign to get the Corellian Defender produced is what really got me involved with the site. 


Q: What sort of things do you make for LEGO Ideas?

A:  You can find them all right here: https://ideas.lego.com/profile/GlenBricker/projects


Q: What is your prized creation, the favorite set you’ve made for Cuusoo/Ideas?

A:  For Ideas, my favorite, personal project is the Discworld (https://ideas.lego.com/projects/36302).  I have had an amazing experience with all the collaborative projects I have done though.  Working with these amazing people has been phenomenal.


Q: Recently, your set Doctor Who reached 10,000 supporters, and has now gone on to the Review Stage. How do you feel about that?

A:  Every project milestone achieved is a great rush.  As far as waiting to find out the results, my philosophy is to hope for the best, but expect the worst.    The worst in this case is really not that bad anyway.  If the set does not get produced, I still got to share this great experience with thousands of other people.    

Q: Other than LEGOs, what else do you spend your time doing?

A:  Well, that depends on what you mean by “LEGO.”  Beyond the building, blogging, coding,and yes, LEGO socializing I have spend time with my family, work, game, and read comics.   Now I am also planning Brick Fiesta 2015 with my fellow co-chairs. 


Q: How many years do you plan to spend time on LEGOs?

A:  I don’t have any plans to stop at the moment.


Q: Do you have any upcoming sets you’d be willing to talk about, plans that you have?

A:  Sorry, I don’t talk about future projects in the public. 


Q: What tips do you have for other LEGO builders, and LEGO Ideas members?

A:  For builders, I suggest you join your local LUG.  If you don’t have a local LUG, I suggest you make one.

For LEGO Ideas members:
- Collaborate with other people who share your passion for the project.
 Don’t rush to publication.  Do your research.  Make your project as professional and well thought out as possible.
 Publishing your project is the easy part.  If you are serious about getting to 10,000 you need to promote your project. 
 Have fun with it.

*************************************************************************

Thank you, Glen, for giving me the chance to interview you. I hope that we will have this chance again.

To the viewers, if you know of anyone who would be willing to talk about how LEGO has been a part of their life, please let me know. I would enjoy talking with them.

Your friend,

Xendor.

No comments:

Post a Comment